FCC mulls expanded Huawei, ZTE bans Author Kavit joined Mobile World Live in May 2015 as Content Editor. He started his journalism career at the Press Association before joining Euromoney’s graduate scheme in April 2010. Read More >> Read more Previous ArticleApple buys picture tech start-upNext ArticleSweden begins Ericsson probe in wake of US case Home Telenor picks Ericsson over Huawei for 5G Related Tags AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 13 DEC 2019 Telenor selected Ericsson to deploy its 5G RAN in Norway, scaling back on previous collaboration with Huawei on LTE infrastructure after what the operator said had been a deep assessment of major vendors’ next-generation capabilities.In a statement, Telenor said full modernisation of its network will take between four years to five years to complete. During the transition, it will continue to use Huawei to maintain its 4G network and handle upgrades to 5G in some parts of the country.Huawei was Telenor’s sole 4G RAN supplier in Norway.The approach will ensure Norwegian customers “have the most optimal user experience and can continue to enjoy a fast and reliable mobile network during the modernisation”. Telenor is planning to launch 5G in the country in 2020.Telenor CEO Sigve Brekke explained the company had conducted a thorough review of vendors’ abilities around technical quality, innovation and security. “Based on the comprehensive and holistic evaluation, we have decided to introduce a new partner for this important technology shift in Norway.”The decision is another blow to Huawei, which is facing global pressure due to allegations its equipment allows the Chinese government to spy.These allegations have resulted in Huawei being banned from participating in 5G deployments in the US and Australia, while there are question marks about its involvement in major European markets including Germany. Subscribe to our daily newsletter Back Former Ericsson employees charged in bribery case Ericsson, Leonardo team on 5G products Kavit Majithia EricssonHuaweiTelenor
You have read 202 of 3 free articles this week. Register now for increased access.Register for free access to this article.By registering, you can read up to 3 articles per week.RegisterAlready registered? Sign in to continue reading or subscribe for unlimited access.,MOST READ InvestCloud to acquire Advicent and NaviPlan planning software House panel unanimously passes SECURE 2.0 4 1 The Gates divorce: Lessons for financial advisers Subscribe for original insights, commentary and analysis of the issues facing the financial advice community, from the InvestmentNews team. Why Tony Robbins, tax shelters and financial advisers don’t mix House committee poised to advance SECURE 2.0 retirement savings bill 5 2 Newsletters 3
Even factoring in his laidback Californian-cool personality, listening to Kyle Larson this week, it’s obvious that he is both optimistic and confident about his chances to qualify for the 2019 edition of the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Playoffs.That’s not to say, however, Larson doesn’t have a plan.The popular driver of the No. 42 Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet is ranked 13th in the driver standings as the series heads into Sunday’s Gander RV 400 at Pocono (Pa.) Raceway (3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, MRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio). Larson holds a 14-point advantage on Clint Bowyer, who is currently in the 16th and final playoff transfer position. He has a 31-point advantage on Jimmie Johnson and Daniel Suarez, who are 17th and 18th respectively, tied in points with six races remaining to set the field.RELATED: Larson in your fantasy lineup for Pocono?“I feel okay about it (position) but thankful the rest of the bubble guys had issues this last race (at New Hampshire) because I DNFed and only lost nine points to the cutoff,” Larson said. “I was surprised by that.“I do feel like our cars are definitely fast enough and capable and should be in the playoffs. As far as speed goes, I feel good about it. But obviously, I’ve got to just not make mistakes to give up a lot of points, like I could have this last weekend.”Not too surprisingly to his fans and the greater NASCAR nation who has gotten to know the young talent, Larson would prefer not to rely on points advantages and instead earn that first victory of 2019. Just win.And the series is visiting venues where that could happen – places where Larson has traditionally shined.This week’s 400-miler at Pocono Raceway is followed by races at Watkins Glen, Michigan, Bristol, Darlington and finally the famous Indianapolis Motor Speedway.Larson has a runner-up finish at Pocono in 2018. He won two stages and led 35 laps in the race this June, only to finish a disappointing 26th. And Larson has a pair of top-10 runs in five starts at Watkins Glen – including a best of fourth in 2014.But the brightest and biggest circle on Larson’s schedule is probably around the Aug. 11 stop at Michigan International Speedway where Larson won his first ever Monster Energy Series race in 2016 and answered by sweeping the 2017 season. He hasn’t had a top 10 since his last victory in 2017 at the track, but was encouraged by his 14th-place finish back in June. It remains a valid opportunity to secure that “safety net” victory.“Michigan, we’ve obviously had a lot of success, but the racing was way different then, so it’s hard to say that I go there with the same amount of confidence I had back in 2017,” Larson said. “But we raced there a few weeks ago and we were really fast, our pit strategy just didn’t work out there at the end. I ran inside the top-three, top-five most of the race. We could be good there.“Bristol and Darlington, those are a couple of my best tracks. I’m excited about the upcoming month and a half of racing because those are tracks I’ve historically run pretty well at.”RELATED: What are Larson’s odds for Pocono?Bristol Motor Speedway’s high-banked half-mile has been a particularly good venue for Larson. He’s won the pole position twice and finished runner-up in both races last year. Twice, Larson has led at least 200 laps in a race at Bristol.The historic Darlington (S.C.) Raceway has been another positive entry in Larson’s young career. He has four top 10s in five starts, including a pair of career best third-place finishes. He led a dominating 284 of 367 laps in his third place effort last year.“Consistency is probably what we need to do the most to gain points, but then you know, if a win is there for the taking, we’re definitely going to try to win,” Larson said. “But we also can’t do anything too crazy in terms of fuel strategy or things like that, that could cost us if it doesn’t work out. Obviously, we’d like to not be close to the Playoff bubble because then we could call our races a little differently, but that’s just the box we’re in.”And so Larson insists his method involves taking care of himself and not paying too much attention to the immediate playoff competition. He’s optimistic. That’s half the battle.“It is kind of crazy seeing Jimmie Johnson floating around that cutoff, I don’t really pay attention to that necessarily – everyone’s history and successes that they’ve had,” Larson said.“I just want to make the playoffs, so we’ll keep trying to finish these races. We were doing a good job and gaining a lot of points and this past weekend kind of set us back a little bit. But we’ve got fast cars and that helps make it a little easier to be consistent and do what we’ve got to do to make the playoffs.’’
In its 37 years of existence, Hendrick Motorsports has only had six seasons without a NASCAR Cup Series champion on its team.Jimmie Johnson is the current resident champ. But “Seven-Time” is retiring from full-time NASCAR competition at the end of 2020. And title-less Kyle Larson – 28 years old compared to Johnson’s 45 – is filling the void in team owner Rick Hendrick’s garage next season, taking over his No. 5 Chevrolet as Alex Bowman moves to the No. 48.“I’m super excited about it,” Hendrick said. “I like the way Kyle drives the car. Didn’t like to race against him, but always took a little pride in the motor was ours. I’m feeling real good about it.”RELATED: Kyle Larson reinstated | Kyle Larson signs with Hendrick MotorsportsLarson used to drive for Chip Ganassi Racing in its No. 42 Chevrolet, which did feature a Hendrick Motorsports engine. He was released by the team and suspended by NASCAR back in April, however, after his use of a racial slur on an iRacing live stream. The sanctioning body reinstated Larson after evaluation on Oct. 19, and Hendrick Motorsports announced it had signed him to a multi-year deal on Oct. 28.With the addition of Larson and loss of Johnson, the average age of Hendrick Motorsports drivers drops from 29.50 to 25.25. Alex Bowman is 27, Chase Elliott is 24 and William Byron is 22.“It’s weird to be 28 years old and be the oldest guy on the team,” Larson said. “I was looking yesterday, I think Jamie McMurray is 16 years older than I am and Kurt (Busch) is 14 years older than me. Those are the last teammates I’ve had. They were both teenagers before I was born.”Based on driver age in the Daytona 500, the 2021 crop will be Hendrick Motorsports’ youngest since 2005. Larson and Bowman will be the same age as they are now, while Elliott and Byron will be a year older. That’ll make their average 25.75. The 2005 bunch had Johnson (29), Jeff Gordon (33), Brian Vickers (21) and Kyle Busch (19). They averaged out to 25.50.A major difference between those two groups: The 2005 team had a four-time champion in Gordon (Johnson’s first came in 2006).There have only been two periods in Hendrick Motorsports history with no champions – from 1984-86 and 1991-93. The organization was founded in 1984, and then Benny Parsons was added in 1987. He joined already a champion (1973) and stayed at Hendrick for just the one season. Darrell Waltrip really held down the fort from 1987-90 thanks to his three previous titles. There was then a gap until Terry Labonte came around in 1994. He had his prior 1984 championship and then added another one in 1996 with Hendrick. Jeff Gordon showed up in 1993, won his first of four titles in 1995 and overlapped until 2015 with Johnson, who started his championship bonanza in 2006 and still carries the torch.RELATED: All of Hendrick Motorsports’ wins by driverThere’s still a chance the streak continues. Elliott and Bowman are active in the 2020 NASCAR Playoffs, as the Round of 8 concludes Sunday at Martinsville Speedway (2 p.m. ET on NBC/NBC Sports App, MRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio) and the Championship 4 is set for the Nov. 8 finale at Phoenix Raceway. Both are currently below the elimination cutline, though, with three spots remaining. They’re tied at a 25-point disadvantage.So, as of right now, the 2021 Hendrick Motorsports stable looks like it’ll be the first in 28 years without a crown-holder. But it may not be that way for long.“We don’t have a champion,” Hendrick said. “But I think these guys are going to be champions.”
As previously announced, the sixth annual Shubert Foundation High School Theatre Festival will take place on June 15 at 7PM ET. Jelani Alladin, a former Broadway.com vlogger, is set to host the virtual event, which will spotlight over 160 students. The evening will also include appearances from Adam Chanler-Berat, James Harkness, Carly Hughes, George Salazar and Sherie Rene Scott. Viewers will be able to stream it here or at the bottom of this page.The event is a celebration featuring five outstanding high school student productions from the 2019-2020 school year, which were selected from over 30 productions across the city by a panel of professional theater artists and educators. Over the course of the festival’s six-year history, school productions from all five boroughs have performed at the event. On June 15, students will present excerpted scenes and musical numbers from Aida, The Wolves, Fame, Lucky Stiff and Hairspray. Jelani Alladin(Photo: Emilio Madrid for Broadway.com) View Comments
LSU Tigers running back Leonard Fournette (7) celebrates a touchdown against the Auburn Tigers during the second quarter of a game at Tiger Stadium.BATON ROUGE – As the heat index rose to 119 degrees on the Tiger Stadium field Saturday afternoon, the Leonard Fournette Heisman Trophy Index soared to a career-high 228 yards in just over a half as the No. 13 Tigers melted No. 18 Auburn, 45-21, in front of 102,321 and a national CBS television audience.“Marshawn Lynch — I think that’s a good comparison,” LSU center Ethan Pocic said of Fournette, who carried just 19 times and averaged a school record 12 yards a carry to break the previous record of 11.7 by Carencro’s Kevin Faulk in 1996.“But to be honest, there’s no comparison with Leonard Fournette,” Pocic said. “He’s a freak of nature. I can’t see him not being up for the Heisman.”Fournette gained 71 yards on the first play of the game to the Auburn 4-yard line, and one could judge the rest of this book by its cover play. LSU quarterback Brandon Harris scored on a 2-yard run two plays later for a 7-0 lead, and the rout was on. Fournette had 169 yards on 15 carries by halftime with a 40-yard touchdown for a 24-0 lead with 2:10 to go in the second quarter.“We practice in this weather all the time,” Fournette said.He carried just four times for 59 yards in the second half before calling it a day — just 23 yards away from breaking the school rushing record of 250 yards set by Lafayette’s Alley Broussard in 2004. But not before depositing a run on his career index that went straight to video within minutes afterwards. As Fournette sprinted down the LSU sideline toward a 29-yard touchdown for a for a 31-7 lead at the 10:56 mark of the third quarter, Auburn safety Tray Matthews — obviously frustrated with conventional tackling by this time — attempted a new form of stoppage. He approached Fournette on the run, then tried to jump on top of him.Fournette ducked a little and sort of guided Matthews, who may consider track and field, over his 6-foot-1 frame. Just as Matthews was landing, Fournette dodged safety Nick Ruffin on a dime and scored.“I can’t explain that one,” Fournette said. “Actually, I was about to jump over him, and he actually jumped over me. I thought I was going to have to jump over him. He just went over top, and I tried to keep leverage.”It may have been the most athletic missed tackle in college football history.“It was just crazy,” Pocic said.“He took one of their tacklers and threw him into another tackler,” Miles said. “That was a guy (a tackler) who lacked real resolve.”Miles was asked if Fournette brought his game to a new level.“When he takes two guys and throws him on another guy, that would be another level. And when he takes three,” Miles mused, but didn’t finish the sentence.With 159 yards last week against Mississippi State, Fournette’s 387 rushing yards are the most by any LSU football player in history after two games. His 228 yards was the most by an LSU back since Broussard’s 240 in 2004.“He’s a good back,” Auburn cornerback Jonathan Jones said. “You have to give him credit, but at the end of the day we have to tackle better.”Auburn safety Rudy Ford was not available after the game. Earlier this week, he was asked what type of challenge stopping Fournette would be, and he said that it “shouldn’t be difficult” or “that much of a challenge,” after saying before a question that “the challenge is stopping No. 7. We have to get ready.”Fournette was not upset by the comment, but LSU’s players were.“I laughed at it. Words are words. No, it didn’t motivate me. It did everybody else, though,” Fournette said.Miles intimated that Fournette may have been motivated by Ford.“Leonard knew what he said,” Miles said. “Who would’ve thought it would’ve happened on the first play of the game.”And he just kept coming as did a bevy of other LSU backs. Harris, who was particularly angered by Ford’s words, rushed eight times for 66 yards with two touchdowns while completing 12 of 17 passes for 74 yards and a touchdown. Freshman tailback Derrius Guice added 55 yards on six carries.LSU’s 411 rushing yards were its most since getting 400 in 1997 in a 63-28 win at Kentucky. Meanwhile, LSU’s defense held Auburn to 260 total yards and sacked Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson five times.It was 24-0 at the half, Fournette had 169 yard on 15 carries, and LSU was just getting warmed up amid temperatures in the 90s.“It wasn’t that hot,” said Fournette, who lived on the Claiborne Avenue bridge in New Orleans for nearly a week after Hurricane Katrina 10 years ago.“We practice in that weather all the time,” Miles said. “I had no question my team was going to be very comfortable in that weather — myself as well.”At halftime, LSU defensive tackle Davon Godchaux, who finished with two sacks, walked up to Miles.“Man, coach, we’re going to be a good team this year,” Miles said Godchaux told him.“Yeah, we are going to be a good team. We’re on path,” Miles said.Fournette agreed.“Man, we’re better than what I thought,” he said. “I didn’t think we were going to be playing like we are right now so soon.”Coverage of LSU and Glenn Guilbeau commentary supported by Hebert’s Town and Country Auto Dealer in Shreveport located at 1155 E. Bert Kouns. Research your next Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or RAM at http://www.hebertstandc.com/
MARTIN BERNETTI/AFP via Getty ImagesBy: STEPHEN IERVOLINO, ABC News(NEW YORK) — Sharp-eyed fans’ attention to detail while watching Back to the Future Part II on Netflix has gotten major attention from the streaming service. Apparently, Netflix had been running a censored version of the film without realizing it. The cut, which the fan noticed, included a sloppy deletion of Michael J. Fox’s Marty McFly discovering family nemesis Biff had smuggled a French girly magazine inside the cover of that troublesome Gray’s Sports Almanac. Now the movie’s screenwriter, Bob Gale, is sounding off, telling The Hollywood Reporter, “Apparently, this was a foreign version which neither director Robert Zemeckis nor I even knew existed, for some country that had a problem with the Oh La La magazine cover. I asked that the studio destroy this version.”Gale added, “FYI, Netflix does not edit films — they only run the versions that are supplied to them. So they’re blameless. You can direct your ire at Universal, but I think they will be a lot more careful in the future — and with ‘the future.’”Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
Your browser does not support iframes.Please follow and like us:
By Jessica Anstice With schools across the state closed due to the coronavirus pandemic, students in Cardinia are now engaged in online learning….[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.