Paperless Club

first_imgEvery year sports clubs waste time and money on printing and mailing, but all that can change by becoming a Paperless Club and using your website and emails to inform your members. Make the change and Go Green today – become a Paperless Club.To find out more, visit http://www.sportingpulse.com/mysport.cgi?domain=paperlesslast_img

Urban Meyer Says “Everything Is Fine” And There’s “No Issue” With Braxton Miller’s Instagram Photo

first_imgBraxton Miller promotes Advocare products.Last week, Ohio State senior quarterback Braxton Miller posted a photo on Instagram that was believed by some to possibly be an NCAA violation. Miller, a rep for Authentik Fitness, promoted the nutritional products in the photo and listed his email as a point of contact for potential buyers. Under NCAA bylaws, student-athletes are not allowed to use their likeness to help companies profit. According to Urban Meyer, though, “everything is fine” and there is “no issue.” Urban Meyer answers @CantonRepdotcom ? About Braxton Miller NCAA endorsement issue “everything is fine. No issue.”— toddporter (@toddporter) March 30, 2015That’s, obviously, good news for Ohio State fans. The Buckeyes open their 2015 season Sept. 7 against Virginia Tech. Will Miller be the man behind center?last_img read more

Foreign home buyers surge 37 per cent in Montreal on growth in

first_imgMONTREAL – Canada’s federal housing agency says the number of foreign buyers in the Montreal area surged by 37 per cent in the first four months of the year.The 236 purchases by foreigners accounted for 1.8 per cent of all real estate transactions from January to April, the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. said in a report.That’s up from 172 deals representing 1.3 per cent of total sales a year earlier during the same time period.By comparison, home purchases by foreign buyers in the Vancouver area have hovered around three to four per cent of all transactions since the introduction of a 15 per cent foreign buyers’ tax last August. In the Toronto area, about five per cent of transactions were made by foreigners before a tax was added in April.Buyers from China accounted for the strongest growth in Montreal, representing 17 per cent of all foreign buyers, up from less than 10 per cent in the first quarter of 2016.The number of buyers from China more than tripled since the adoption of the Vancouver tax, while the number of French and American buyers increased by about 33 per cent.Condominiums were the first choice of foreign buyers but 40 per cent of Chinese buyers selected single-family homes.The median price they paid for these homes was about $720,000 while 25 per cent exceeded $1 million, far greater than prices paid by American and French buyers.last_img read more

Fintech TransferWise to launch borderless debit card in Canada in 2019

first_imgTORONTO – European financial technology company TransferWise is planning a Canadian launch next year for its borderless debit card, which allows users to hold balances in multiple currencies and spend it at home and abroad with lower foreign exchange fees than traditional banks.TransferWise CEO and co-founder Kristo Kaarmann says the card, which was launched in the U.K. and the Eurozone two weeks ago, is useful for frequent business travellers, snowbirds and expats who spend lots of time outside of Canada but domestically as well.“When people go out of the country, they are inevitably spending money,” Kaarmann said in an interview. “They’re booking hotels, they’re booking flights, often in other currencies, and that’s where banks scoop the hidden fees.”Kaarmann said there would be no transaction fees for people making purchases on the borderless debit card in the currency a balance is held in. If money held in the borderless account must be converted into another currency before using the card, a conversion fee of between 0.6 per cent and one per cent applies, which Kaarmann notes is less than the banks charge.The U.K.-based fintech launched its borderless account in Canada in August last year, and Kaarmann said it is working to offer the accompanying debit card here in 2019.There is no limit on the balance that can be held in the borderless account, he says. Customers’ money is held in segregated accounts at banks insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corp., according to a TransferWise spokeswoman.Kaarmann spoke about its borderless card as it launches its batch payments function in Canada, which allows businesses to make up to 1,000 global payments at once in various currencies with a lower foreign-currency conversion charge of between 0.6 per cent and 1 per cent.TransferWise has been beefing up the functionality offered to Canadians since its launch in April 2016. Since then, roughly $2.2 billion has been moved in and out of the country via TransferWise’s platform. Canada is among its top 10 largest markets and is now the sixth-fastest growing market in terms of transfers.Canada’s big banks are investing heavily in technology as customers increasingly do their banking in the digital realm. They are also facing increased competition from non-traditional providers of payment services. For example, Apple and Google have introduced mobile wallets that allow users to make retail payments.Meanwhile, last month, TransferWise became the first non-bank payment services provider to hold a settlement account in the Bank of England’s Real Time Gross Settlement system, meaning it can now settle payments directly rather than going through a retail bank.As Canada moves to modernize its payment system, TransferWise is pushing for a similar direct settlement account in Canada as well as policies regarding the disclosure of fees, including exchange rates.Note to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version of this story reported that TransferWise is working to launch a debit MasterCard in Canada.last_img read more

Notley to skip premiers conference so she can focus on pipeline deal

first_imgKinder Morgan has ceased all non-essential spending on the project until it receives assurances it can proceed without delays, setting a May 31 deadline on getting those guarantees.Oates says that with 10 days remaining before the deadline, Notley’s only priority is working with the federal government and Kinder Morgan to work on a deal.Deputy Premier Sarah Hoffman will be attending the conference on Notley’s behalf.(THE CANADIAN PRESS) EDMONTON, A.B. –  There won’t be any fireworks between the premiers of Alberta and British Columbia at the Western premiers conference this week, because Alberta Premier Rachel Notley isn’t going.B.C.’s John Horgan and Notley, who have butted heads over the Trans Mountain pipeline project, were both scheduled to be in Yellowknife at the conference, which starts Tuesday.But Cheryl Oates, a spokeswoman for Notley, says in an email Monday afternoon that Notley will be staying in Alberta to complete a deal to secure the construction of the pipeline.last_img read more

42 million spent on drilling license near Halfway River First Nation at

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – B.C.’s coffers will be getting just over $42 million from a drilling license that was auction off in the provincial petroleum and natural gas land rights sale this week.Landsolutions GP Ltd. paid $42,052,202.00 for a 1,847-hectare drilling license in the provincial auction, which was held on Wednesday, June 13th. The parcel, which overlaps the Halfway River First Nation and the proposed Tsaa Nuna Conservancy on the other side of the Halfway River from the First Nation, went for a whopping $22,767.84 per hectare.Scott Land & Lease Ltd. purchased two of the other three parcels that were up for auction in the sale for a combined $22,952.16. The last parcel of land to fetch such a high cost was a 5,542-hectare drilling license bought by Scott Land & Lease Ltd. Last July. That license brought in over $77 million, though the cost per hectare was lower, at just under $14,000/hectare.June’s sale saw by far the most amount of money spent by companies on acquiring land rights this year. In May companies spent just $1.3 million, though that number is higher than the lowest tally of the year in April when companies spent just over $200,000.So far this year, the Province has generated $59.4 million from land rights sales, which is higher than the $33.4 million that was spent in all of 2015 and 2016 combined.last_img read more

Regional District to begin cracking down on landslide evacuation order violations

first_img(b) interferes with or obstructs any person in the exercise of any power or the performance of any duty conferred or imposed under this Act.(2) A person who commits an offence under subsection (1) is liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than one year or to a fine of not more than $10,000 or to both imprisonment and fine.It is strongly recommended that any residents who have not left the Evacuation Order area leave for their own safety.  If you wish to leave the PRRD will make arrangements to pick you up.  Call 250 784-3200 24 hrs a day.”Earlier this afternoon, the PRRD issued it’s sixth evacuation order since the landslide first began on September 30th. FORT ST, JOHN, B.C. – The Peace River Regional District says that it will begin cracking down on anyone that violates the evacuation orders that have been issued for areas around the community of Old Fort.In an update late this afternoon, the PRRD said that additional cracking and movement on the slide has resulted in the Peace River Regional District Board issuing the following statement:“An Evacuation Order for the Old Fort Landslide was issued on October 7, 2018 and expanded on October 11, 2018.  Pursuant to the Evacuation Order and the powers available under the Emergency Program Act to control or prohibit movement during a state of local emergency, THE PEACE RIVER REGIONAL DISTRICT WILL NOT TOLERATE ENTRY INTO THE EVACUATION ORDER AREA EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 12, 2018 AT 6:00 AM.EMERGENCY PROGRAM ACTPart 3 — Emergencies, Disasters and Declared EmergenciesSection 27(1) A person commits an offence who(a) contravenes this Act or the regulations, orlast_img read more

Raman Singhs soninlaw charged with Rs 50 cr fraud

first_imgRaipur: Former Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh’s son-in-law, Puneet Gupta, has been charged with misusing his post and committing financial fraud of Rs 50 crore during his tenure as the superintendent of a state government hospital in Raipur. The police said they have been investigating the case but Gupta has not been arrested yet.According to the police, superintendent of DK Super-Specialty Hospital K K Sahare had filed a complaint at the Golebazar police station alleging irregularities to the tune of Rs 50 crore during Gupta’s tenure. Acting on the complaint, police filed a case under Section 420 against Gupta. Senior Superintendent of Police Devendra Charan Patel said on Saturday that Sahare has mentioned in his complaint that large-scale irregularities took place when Gupta was the superintendent of the hospital from December 2015 to October 2018. He alleged that Gupta misused his influence and bypassed rules to appoint doctors and other staff, and also misused government funds to buy such machines that had nothing to do with treatment of patients.last_img read more

Adah Sharma in film on sex reassignment surgery

first_imgMumbai: Actress Adah Sharma is thrilled about playing a man in a comedy film on sex reassignment surgery. The story of the film, “Man to Man”, revolves around actor Naveen Kasturia’s character falling in love and marrying Adah’s character and later realising that she was biologically a man and became a woman after going through a sex reassignment surgery. “I try to pick different characters from my debut ‘1920’ to ‘Commando 2’ and ‘Commando 3’. This is the first time I’m playing a guy,” Adah said in a statement. Also Read – I have personal ambitions now: Priyanka Naveen said it’s the right combination of entertainment and a social message. “This film is a very different and an interesting take on the burning issue of gender acceptance.” It has been written and directed by Abir Sengupta. Sengupta said: “Working with Adah and Naveen has been a phenomenal experience. I am sure that the audience will not just get entertained but will also take back the message that I am trying to convey through the film.” Jay Sahni, owner of Vivid Arthouse, has joined hands with Sengupta and Anushree Mehta of Anushree Abir Entertainment to produce the film.last_img read more

Ohio State volleyball falls to Michigan State for first loss of the

Senior outside hitter Kaitlyn Leary (11) spikes the ball during a match against Michigan Sept. 27 at St. John Arena. OSU won, 3-1.Credit: Mark Batke / Lantern photographerThe No. 13 Ohio State women’s volleyball team started its season by winning 13 straight matches, including a four set victory over then-No. 10 Michigan. The team’s winning streak came to a halt when the Buckeyes fell to No. 15 Michigan State in three straight sets.The Buckeyes (13-1) struggled early against the Spartans on Sunday, but still had a chance in each set. OSU jumped out to an 18-14 lead in the match’s opening set, but MSU fought back to take get the win, 27-25.Throughout the match, OSU struggled with passing, due partially to dominant serving from its opponent. The Spartans finished the day with eight service aces, as well as 14 errors. These problems and Michigan State’s strong serving led to OSU dropping the next two sets, 25-23 and 25-22.Senior outside hitter Kaitlyn Leary finished with 10 kills in the losing effort and said her and her teammates must use this match to grow as they move forward in Big Ten play.“We just didn’t come out strong, and we’re gonna use this, work on what we need to do this week to be ready for Indiana and Purdue next week,” Leary said.OSU coach Geoff Carlston was also impressed with the Spartans’ serving game.“We just didn’t pass very well, but in Michigan State’s defense that’s the toughest serving team I’ve ever seen,” he said.Carlston said the match exhibited poor play from some typical stars, while some others were able to step up.“We rely a lot on Kaitlyn Leary and she struggled today,” Carlston said. “I thought our freshmen really stepped up and played well.”Leary had an uncharacteristic seven errors on top of her 10 kills while freshman right side hitter Taylor Sandbothe led the team with 12 kills while committing just one error. Sanbothe’s classmate, outside hitter Kylie Randall, added 11 kills of her own to go along with two errors.Following the first set, Carlston made a change at the libero position, as senior Julianne Mandolfo donned the scarlet jersey instead of senior Davionna DiSalvatore.“Davionna got aced three times in one set (against MSU), that’s something that can’t happen,” Carlston said. “That’s the luxury we have. They’re both really, really good and so if one is struggling, we can put the other one in and vice versa.”Carlston also shuffled his lineup late in the match, throwing sophomore outside hitter Katie Mitchell onto the court in the third set in hopes of extending the match.“What we had been doing the past two sets hadn’t been working,” Mitchell said.Mitchell said the team’s cohesion will have to improve this week in practice.“We kind of fell apart a little bit,” she said. “We need to bounce back as a group.”Freshman outside hitter Chloe Reinig and senior outside hitter Lauren Wicinski led the way for the Spartans with 12 kills each.Even with a loss to the Spartans, the players were able to take some positives away from its win against Michigan on Friday night, especially the great play of Sandbothe and Randall, Leary said. She said she was proud to see them step up.“They both really stepped up as freshmen and we needed that, especially with me starting off a little slow, they definitely brought that and that’s what helped us win this game tonight,” Leary said Friday.Sandbothe said there were a lot of emotions for her coming into the first Michigan clash of her college career.“There’s a lot of people here, so I was a little nervous, but excited,” she said after the win against the Wolverines. “This is the biggest crowd I’ve ever played in front of.”The official attendance for the match against Michigan was about 4,500.Even though the Buckeyes came out victorious, the team struggled at times. OSU led the second set 22-16 before eventually losing 27-25.Randall said the team made some mistakes at the service line that contributed to the loss.“In the second game, we missed four to five in a row so I think we could definitely work on that,” she said.Carlston added that the personnel OSU had on the court in the set it lost did not leave them with a very good chance to win.“We got stuck in a rotation that we weren’t playing very well in and they were playing very well in, and that’s the game,” he said.Leary led the match with 22 kills while Sandbothe recorded 12 kills and eight blocks and Randall finished 11 kills and four blocks.OSU is set to travel to Indiana this weekend for its first road matches of the Big Ten season. The Buckeyes are scheduled to play Purdue in West Lafayette, Ind., at 7 p.m. Friday and Indiana in Bloomington, Ind., at the same time Saturday. read more