EPA must get serious about ship pollution

first_imgMaybe it won’t take an international conference after all to clean up the gross polluters of the sea. That’s been the excuse for many years. Nobody could do anything about oceangoing ships that belch the world’s foulest exhaust because this was a worldwide problem. Not the local ports’ problem. Not the shippers’ problem. Not the problem of anybody who could actually do something about it. Now somebody has. California’s attorney general, Jerry Brown, last week filed a legal petition asking federal regulators to act against greenhouse gas emissions from cargo ships, cruise ships and other large vessels. What this amounts to is an invitation to do the right thing before the state takes the federal Environmental Protection Agency to court. Such a lawsuit could do some good. Ships cause horrendous pollution to regions adjacent to shipping centers – and those downwind. The real subject here, however, is money. Ships burn bunker because it is cheap. But it’s also the dirtiest of fuels. Switching to low-sulphur diesel fuel will cost the consumers of imported goods more. But first the EPA, target of Brown’s lawsuit, will have to stir itself. If it does, any new regulations would affect about 6,000 ships calling on the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. The port complex and its many diesel-powered parts are the single biggest source of diesel pollution in the L.A. Basin. Will the EPA have to wait until, say, Singapore agrees to a ban on bunker? Not necessarily. Nations can legally limit environmentally harmful activity within their territories, which can extend seaward for 200 miles. Bunker fuel has sulfur content of up to 27,000 parts per million, compared with 15 parts per million in diesel burned by cars and trucks in the United States. The ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel, mandated last year, results in lower emissions of nitrous oxides, an ingredient of smog, and particulates, which are known to cause cancer. Californians now are looking forward to the favor of a reply from the EPA to our invitation. There is more than enough reason to accept. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Inverness CT 3-1 Kilmarnock: Red card turns tide against Killie

first_imgInverness eased any lingering threat of relegation from the Ladbrokes Premiership after scoring three times in the second half on their way to a 3-1 win over 10-man Kilmarnock.Greg Tansey, Ross Draper and Danny Williams all found the back of the net to move Inverness 11 points clear of 11th spot with four games to go.Kallum Higginbotham had given Lee Clark’s men the lead towards the end of the first half but Caley Thistle drew themselves level 10 minutes after the break, Tansey netting a penalty after Jamie MacDonald had been sent off.Draper turned in from close range after a Tansey corner with 17 minutes to go and Williams netted three minutes later to secure the points. Given that three points would have been useful for both sides, you would have expected more from a first half that lacked in any real incident or urgency.Neither goalkeeper was forced into a save in the first 30 minutes as a tame affair played out in front of a sparse Sunday afternoon crowd.Killie’s greatest threat came from set pieces, with balls aimed at Miles Addison, while Caley Thistle had some joy with Danny Williams and Miles Storey finding some space in behind the Kilmarnock back line. The best chances fell for the home side, with MacDonald denying Danny Williams and Julien Faubert heading a Gary Warren effort off the line.In a familiar story for Caley Thistle they had controlled possession but created little before shooting themselves in the foot. Greg Kiltie broke and fed Higginbotham and he was granted the freedom of the Highland capital, cutting inside and firing beyond Owain Fon Williams to give Kilmarnock a half-time lead.It was the visitors’ only shot of the first half and after the number of sucker-punches Inverness have been caught by this season, it should not have come as a surprise that they should find themselves behind.They were inexplicably handed a lifeline eight minutes into the second half by Killie defender Conrad Balatoni.His back pass was intercepted by Draper and, after rounding the goalkeeper, he was brought down by MacDonald, who saw red.Tansey buried the resulting penalty under replacement goalkeeper Conor Brennan.The opportunity was there for Inverness to go on and seize the game but they failed to do so, Josh Meekings missing a glaring header shortly after Fon Williams bailed out his side at the other end.But Draper’s close-range finish and Danny Williams’ angled shot across Brennan gave the hosts a two-goal cushion and gave them a lead they could hold on to, despite Faubert hitting the bar.last_img read more