a month agoReal Madrid, Barcelona target Liverpool boss Klopp AND Van Dijk

first_imgReal Madrid, Barcelona target Liverpool boss Klopp AND Van Dijkby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool boss Jurgen Klopp AND Virgil van Dijk are being linked with a LaLiga move.AS says the German’s success with the Reds has him being discussed inside the boardrooms of Real Madrid and Barcelona.With doubts persisting at Barca over coach Ernesto Valverde and inside Real regarding Zinedine Zidane’s return, it’s been suggested Klopp is emerging as the prime target for both clubs should choose to change.And it’s also claimed, with the LaLiga rivals keen on Van Dijk, their best shot at landing the Dutchman would be hiring Klopp as coach.For his part, Klopp has insisted he’s happy at Anfield and should the time come to part ways he would be taking a break from the game. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

18 days agoLiverpool boss Klopp: Leicester will end season in top four

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Liverpool boss Klopp: Leicester will end season in top fourby Paul Vegas18 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool boss Jurgen Klopp insists victory against Leicester was well-deserved as they snatched a 2-1 win at Anfield.The Reds were handed a controversial spot-kick deep into stoppage time when Marc Albrighton was adjudged to have brought down Sadio Mane.James Milner calmly slotted home the winner in a result Klopp admits already feels like a huge moment in their season.Klopp told Liverpool’s official website : “So, if you score in the 95th minute with a penalty everybody would say that’s lucky but over the full game we had more chances, we were the better team, so I’m really happy about that.“This one [win] alone feels already big enough, to be honest, because of how difficult this league is [and] how difficult the life of an LFC player is.“I think Leicester at the end of the season will be in the top four and then they will realise how different it is when you play Wednesday, Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday. The quality they have is already good and we all know Brendan, what a sensational manager he is and what he’s doing with them.” last_img read more

That land our land makes us the richest people in the world

first_imgAPTN National NewsQuebec’s new $80 billion Plan Nord is on its way.A number of First Nations groups are demanding more information.So the province and the mining industry held an information session in Chibougamau, Que.APTN National News reporter Danielle Rochette was there.last_img

Regional District to begin cracking down on landslide evacuation order violations

first_img(b) interferes with or obstructs any person in the exercise of any power or the performance of any duty conferred or imposed under this Act.(2) A person who commits an offence under subsection (1) is liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than one year or to a fine of not more than $10,000 or to both imprisonment and fine.It is strongly recommended that any residents who have not left the Evacuation Order area leave for their own safety.  If you wish to leave the PRRD will make arrangements to pick you up.  Call 250 784-3200 24 hrs a day.”Earlier this afternoon, the PRRD issued it’s sixth evacuation order since the landslide first began on September 30th. FORT ST, JOHN, B.C. – The Peace River Regional District says that it will begin cracking down on anyone that violates the evacuation orders that have been issued for areas around the community of Old Fort.In an update late this afternoon, the PRRD said that additional cracking and movement on the slide has resulted in the Peace River Regional District Board issuing the following statement:“An Evacuation Order for the Old Fort Landslide was issued on October 7, 2018 and expanded on October 11, 2018.  Pursuant to the Evacuation Order and the powers available under the Emergency Program Act to control or prohibit movement during a state of local emergency, THE PEACE RIVER REGIONAL DISTRICT WILL NOT TOLERATE ENTRY INTO THE EVACUATION ORDER AREA EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 12, 2018 AT 6:00 AM.EMERGENCY PROGRAM ACTPart 3 — Emergencies, Disasters and Declared EmergenciesSection 27(1) A person commits an offence who(a) contravenes this Act or the regulations, orlast_img read more

EC announces slew of measures to arrest dip in voters turnout

first_imgKolkata: Concerned over the dip in voting percentage in the fifth phase of elections particularly in semi-urban areas such as Barrackpore and Howrah, the Election Commission of India is making extensive arrangements for a high turnout in the seventh phase when the city and its adjacent constituencies such as Kolkata South, Kolkata North, Dum Dum, Jadavpur are going to polls.”We are emphasising on elaborate security arrangements to instill confidence among the people and at the same time create an ambience that will make it easier for people to stand and cast their votes comfortably,” a senior official of the Commission said. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaBarrackpore with 76.83 percent voting recorded a dip of 4.93 percent compared to the polling percentage in 2014. Howrah had only 67.59 voting till 5pm on the voting day but ultimately rose to 74.78 percent with a rise of 7.19 percent in the last one hour (till 6 pm) taking the final percentage close to the 2014 percentage of 74.79 percent. Kolkata has the record of having the lowest percentage of votes in the state. “It is a challenge for us to bring the voters to the booths. We have been carefully designing many programmes to increase the turnout of voters soon after the dates of the elections were announced. We are also trying to have elaborate security measures to boost the confidence of the voters,” a senior official in the District Election Office (DEO) office of North Kolkata said. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayAccording to the figures available with the Election Commission, in the 2014 Lok Sabha election, when the state average was a whopping 82.22, Kolkata South recorded only 67.95 percent North Kolkata had 65.99 percent. Some assembly constituencies located within the city also had a poor voting percentage. Tollygunge that falls under Jadavpur constituency recorded 74.01 percent turnout, Metiabruz that falls under Diamond Harbour constituency recorded only 72.26 percent turnout and Bidhannagar Assembly segment that falls under Barasat parliamentary constituency recorded 71.81 percent turnout of the voters. Jadavpur Assembly segment had a polling turnout of only 73.3 percent. The Commission is making efforts to erect shades in front of each polling station so that they people don’t have to stand under the sun. “There will be arrangements of water, medical facilities and rest rooms in as many constituencies possible so that they people can take rest if they feel uncomfortable. The aged and the physically challenged voters will be allowed to cast their votes early. We are also taking steps to help physically-challenged people to cast their votes,” an official said. As per the plans drawn up by the Commission, 673 companies of Central force will be deployed in the seventh phase with Kolkata getting a share of 146 companies for its two constituencies in 1,576 polling premises — making a provision of nearly 10 personnel for each premise. Another 27 companies of Central force is slated to be deployed for Bidhananagar commissionerate area. Apart from the Central forces there will be 291 inspectors, 1265 Sub-Inspector or Assistant Sub-Inspector, 2,330 armed constables and another 3,000 constables to maintain the law and order in the city. Apart from that another 27 companies of Central forces along with 55 inspectors, 316 Sub-Inspector or Assistant Sub-Inspector and 650 armed constable and another 700 constables will be deployed to man 802 booths spread over 344 premises in Bidhannagar commissionerate. The EC plans are not meant for only two constituencies of Kolkata but for the entire city, including parts of Jadavpur and Diamond Harbour constituencies.last_img read more

Young baseball squad fights through early losses remains determined to win

First-year Ohio State baseball coach Greg Beals insists that the Buckeyes (1-2) not set specific goals as they progress through this season, though he will demand a “fighting mentality.”“We’re too young and too inexperienced to have these expectations of, ‘We should win all our games,’ or, ‘We should do this, this and that,’” Beals said. “We need to go out and establish ourselves as a baseball team before we start setting up what our goals are.”Beals has emphasized an approach that he says will help build a great team.“We have expectations about going through the process (of improving) the quality of our at-bat, the quality of our pitches,” Beals said.Redshirt senior right fielder Brian DeLucia has already bought into his new coach’s thinking.“For right now, our expectations aren’t very extensive in terms of where we want to be at the end of the season,” DeLucia said. “We’re gonna take it game by game.”With 19 underclassmen on its 33-player roster, OSU is a young team. DeLucia said the team’s youth is part of the reason for tempering predictions about wins and losses.“We’ve got a lot of young guys on this team,” DeLucia said. “We’ve got a lot of learning experiences, a lot of obstacles to overcome.”DeLucia also said his only personal expectation for the season was that he and his teammates would “fight like dogs.” Having already played their first three games, Beals’ players have proven to be resilient.While competing in the Big Ten/Big East Challenge in Florida on Friday and Saturday, OSU dropped its first two games, losing, 11-5, and, 2-0, to Cincinnati and No. 20 Louisville, respectively. The Buckeyes then eked out an 8-7 win on Saturday against No. 23 St. John’s in a game that lasted 11 innings.Beals pointed to Sunday’s win, his first as OSU’s coach, as evidence of the Buckeyes’ unwavering effort on the field.“It’s gonna take all of us, and a great example of that was the Sunday win,” Beals said. “We had to go deep into our bullpen. It took a lot of guys, and we ended up laying down a bunt to win a ball game.” In Beals’ eyes, the path to success is very simple.“Anyway, anyhow, anybody,” Beals said, “we gotta get that mentality to just fight and claw to get every success we can.”There is no set number of wins that the team is striving for, but redshirt junior right-handed pitcher Paul Geuy said the outlook is positive.“Expectations are quite high,” Geuy said. “It’s going to be a good year, definitely.” read more

Commentary Women still fighting for equality in sports

On June 23, 1972, the United States government passed an education amendment that included Title IX. Within the amendment was a statement that clearly summarizes the purpose of Title IX and what it stands for: “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” Almost 40 years after the amendment was signed into law, women are still fighting for equal consideration in sports against their male counterparts. It is not always at the collegiate or professional levels either, where most of the media attention is focused. More often than not, it is in high schools where isolated incidents continue to take place. Last week, Our Lady of Sorrows Academy’s baseball team in Phoenix forfeited the state championship game it was scheduled to play against Mesa Preparatory Academy in Mesa, Ariz. because Mesa had a girl named Paige Sultzbach starting at second base. Our Lady of Sorrows is a member of a separatist branch of the Catholic Church and said that playing against a team with a girl would violate the school’s mission to teach boys and girls separately. I’m not here to start a religious debate, question the beliefs of any religion, or say what is the right or wrong thing to believe. My question is simply this: What’s the big deal? Sultzbach is obviously a good enough player to be a starter for a varsity team, where she is the only female member, that reached the state championship game. She even sat out two previous contests against Our Lady of Sorrows this season out of respect for the views of the school. As a passionate person, she was not about to sit out the state championship game though, and who could blame her? As a member of a team and a fierce competitor, there should be no reason a person, male or female, should be asked to sit out after they have worked all year to reach the biggest game of the season. Many people who have played a high school sport know that it is almost every player’s dream to play for a state championship in his or her respective sport. It is something I dreamed about many times growing up, but like many people, I was never fortunate enough to have the opportunity to live that dream. Sultzbach and her teammates had that opportunity, but it was taken away from them because she is a girl. I admire Sultzbach’s decision to play even though she knew it would cause her team to win a state championship by forfeit which she said was absolutely not the way she wanted it to be. Most people want to feel like it was earned because it means more that way. Sultzbach clearly earned the right to play baseball for her school and to play for a state championship, but Our Lady of Sorrows denied her that chance. And the fight for equality continues for another day. read more

Review Belgium – England

first_imgThomas Meunier and Eden Hazard scored in a deserved 2-0 victory for Belgium which earned its first ever World Cup medal.Here are the teams for #BELENG! #WorldCup pic.twitter.com/Wv14Z5zrXW— FIFA World Cup (@FIFAWorldCup) July 14, 2018Thomas Meunier, the man who missed the semi-final against France, scored in the 4th minute to give Belgium an early 1-0 lead. Danny Rose did not cover Meunier, allowing him to get at the end of a Nacer Chadli cross just a few meters away from goal. The game was nowhere near as closed as the first group stage encounter between the two. Despite good defensive positioning, both teams were finding space to create opportunities. De Bruyne had a shot blocked by Pickford, Lukaku failed to control a ball inside the box, while Loftus-Cheek and Maguire had a header each. Harry Kane was forgotten by Belgium’s defenders in the 24th minute, but he slipped in the last moment and fired his shot wide.James Rodriguez, Real MadridZidane hails ‘quality’ James Rodriguez after Real Madrid’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane reserved special praise for James Rodriguez after his starring role in Real Madrid’s 3-2 win over Levante.In the 35th minute, Aiderweireld had an overhead shot go over the bar following a corner kick. Soon after that, The Red Devils had a counter attack which slowed down once Chadli grabbed his hamstring. He couldn’t continue and was replaced by (somewhat surprisingly) Thomas Vermaelen. England had the initiative for around 15 minutes in the middle of the first half, but then Belgium regained control and had several attempts at goal blocked before Sandro Ricci blew the half-time whistle.Jesse Lingard and Marcus Rashford strengthened England’s attack at half-time, entering the pitch in place of Danny Rose and Raheem Sterling. In the 55th minute, De Druyne saw a free zone and sent a through ball to Lukaku, who would’ve had a one-on-one with Pickford if he had managed to receive the pass. However, for the second time in the match, he didn’t. The center forward wasn’t fully invested in the contest. Roberto Martinez saw that and replaced him with Dries Mertens in the 60th minute.In the 70th minute, Eric Dier and Jess Lingard played a great one-two pass which freed up Dier, who chipped the ball over Courtois. When everyone thought it was 1-1, Toby Aiderweireld came flying in and cleared the ball off the goal line. It was by far the best chance of the game for The Three Lions, who began increasing the pressure. In the 78th minute, Moussa Dembele came in for Youri Tielemans. Two minutes later, we saw the best counter attack of the entire championship which included two backheel passes and ended with Jordan Pickford making a one-handed save on Thomas Meunier’s volley. If he would’ve scored, it would’ve been the goal of the tournament.Eden Hazard finally got a goal from open play in the 82nd minute. Kevin De Bruyne pushed the ball between four defenders and gave it to Hazard, who avoided being in an offside position and was quicker than Phil Jones. It was routine afterwards, as he beat Pickford at the near post to make it 2-0 Belgium. Dele Alli substituted Ruben Loftus-Cheek following the goal. The Belgians calmly brought the game to a close, winning their first bronze medal in football history.last_img read more